Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Civic Activism

Although I have voted before, this years Election Day has meant a lot more to me personally than they have in the past. Issue 153 in University Heights was a tax levy that has now raised the income tax of those who work in the city from 1.5% to 2.5%. The city was threatening to make cuts in the police, fire, and city service departments if this did not pass which would have meant not hiring me. Even though most if not all of the guys on UH live outside the city and will have their taxes raised by this increase, they were out at the polls standing with signs and handing out pamphlets all day. After I voted in Medina County I went out to stand with them and I was out at the polls for a few hours in the rain helping remind the good citizens of UH to vote to keep there fire and police and service departments funded.
The unofficial word is that I will be able to start with UH FD some time in January 07!

1 comment:

GrammaBear said...

Yay! Something good came out of this election!