Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Double Reds


I when to give blood yesterday and found out about the Red Cross’s Double red program. I was able to give two units of red blood cells and get all my plasma back. I got hooked up to a machine almost like a mini dialysis machine. It takes out a unit of blood separates the plasma from the red blood cells then returns the plasma through the same needle. It does this twice. It also gives you a unit of saline so you leave more hydrated than you came in, oh and did I mention that it uses a smaller needle that whole blood donation. Now instead of giving every 56 days I have to wait 112 to give again. It was cold receiving the fluids back through the IV after cooling below body temperature.For a list of when the red cross will be having a blood drive in your area check the Red Cross web site at www.redcrossdonor.org/events.asp and if you would like to give two units at once look for Double Reds available.

5 comments:

CalebSchuster said...

That picture is blood plasma with after being seperated from red blood cells

amy said...

i've done the opposite; i've given (sold) plasma and got red blood cells back. if they need plasma as well as red blood cells, why wouldn't they separate them and keep them both?

Jason said...

I always mean to give blood...but never do. I haven't given blood in over a year (besides to my doctor for doctor-type stuff).

I'm always worried that it'll make me tired enough that I won't be able to lift that day.

CalebSchuster said...

You can still work out just go donate after your work out. Most donation centers are open untill seven pm.

CalebSchuster said...

they do take both red blood cell and plasma when you give whole blood. Right now red blood cells are what is in most demand and with this process I can give two units at once where as if I gave both plasma and red blood cells they could only take one unit of each at one time.