Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Free Sunglasses

Yesterday at Marc’s while shopping for food with Crystal we found sunglasses two for 99 cents. We each got a pair and I clipped them on the side of the cart so they would not get crushed. We spent the rest of the time there filling up our cart with food, by the way frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale for only $1.49 per Lb. When we got to the checkout counter I was in a little bit of a hurry because I had to be at Hinckley Fire Dept. for a meeting in about 25minuetes. I helped bag while Crystal took stuff out of the cart and put it on the counter. The young cashier behind rang our items up and the total was $100.20. I paid him and put the bags in the cart. Just as we were about to walk away from the counter Crystal noticed that we had forgotten the two pair of sunglasses on the cart. She quickly told the cashier that we had forgotten an item. He just looked at us and waved saying don’t worry about it. Crystal tried to pay him but he said again “don’t worry about it”. So I put the sunglasses in a bag a left the store. Crystal told me as we left that it just did not feel right. I have stopped arguing with someone that wants to give me something it is so much easer to just accept it and be thankful. We tried to pay for them but the cashier did not let us besides I was still in a hurry to get home and unload the food.

Any thoughts?

8 comments:

amy said...

seems like your motives were good. there was nothing else you could have done other than put them back or got in the ridiculously long line for a $.99 purchase.

but i understand the strange feeling.

Jason said...

I dunno, sounds fine to me. I mean, hey, free sunglasses.

(Oh, and was this the Strongsville Marcs?)

Crystal said...

Yep, the Strongsville Marc's.

Donna said...

This happens to me a lot. The kids will beplaying with something and it ends up in my purse, or when Ethan was in the baby carrier, I would let him play with stuff and it will fall underneath him and I wouldn't notice until I got home.

I have tried countless times to ask the cashier, the next time I am at the store to add it to my bill (I get the item and bring it to the counter) but they always look at you funny, and never actually do it. And when I do have the time to go all the way back into the store and pay for it,they always act really weird and look at me like I am a really stupid person.

Moral of the story...you tried...Oh well!

But my only problem is when there are those survey e-mails and it asks, have you ever stolen anything...what do you say????

O'Seasnain said...

the only thing that would bother me is that the cashier does not own the store... However, he probably has also charged too much at times and too little at others. Ultimately, $0.99 won't kill the business, even if he does it multiple times. AND you were not trying to steal it!

Grammabear said...

It is interesting when God is calling us to holiness, how he cares about small things like that. In the world's view, it's no big deal - 99 cents is like finding a penny on the sidewalk, not even worth stopping to pick it up. (But I always do!) So the thing might pick at our conscience, until we find a way to make it right. Sometimes people anonymously send money to a store for something they stole years past. But if you offered, and they rejected it, then I think you count it as forgiven - just one more of those little things we call sin, forgiven by Christ on the cross, and this one forgiven by the clerk in the store. It is not to be lightly brushed aside, but gives us an opportunity to contemplate how awesome forgiveness really is. Pass it on.

CalebSchuster said...

Speaking of picking up pennies I found one today on the sidewalk after finishing taking University Heights Fire Test. On my way home I was thinking how one test could change the rest of my life. UH is planning on hiring two firefighters off this list and getting hired could change the course of my life, such as where I live, whom I work with, my lifestyle now and when I retire. That could all change because of a few right or wrong answers, just of a few darken circles on a scantron sheet. I know that my life is in God’s hands but it is daunting to think about how one test score could determining where I spend the next 25 years of my life here on earth.

Bek said...

very interesting. i know the feeling when you want to make something right. and i think sensitvie conciouses are awesome. i guess i'd just let it go though, too. unless i felt the Holy Spirit telling me to do something more.