The battery was dead, dead like Jacob Marley. Just a few days ago Crystal called me at work. Her car would not start, fortunately one of her coworker was able to give her a jump, and Crystal got home but her battery did not return to a full charge. After running if for more than 20min with all her accessories off Crystal got home and shut the car off; wanting to make sure it would start the next day she tried to start it back up. The next morning, but once the engine was off the battery would not even turn over, it had enough and was not going to start. The next day I got home and tried for about 30min to charge her battery and jump her car with no success. The battery was dead as a door nail. The next step was to take it out and get a new battery. Or more precisely take the old battery out. That is when the problem started.
In a classic example of not having the right tool for the job, I was unable to reach the left side battery clamp with my crescent wrench. I don’t have a good socket wrench set. (hey! That would be a good Christmas present!J) I found a nut and bolt just past the battery; grabbing it with my trusty Gerber I gave it a good twist. “SNAP” the bolt cleanly snapped into two pieces and the battery was still not clear to lift out. Next I tried to just slide the clamp off the positive pole on the left side. Using my Gerber as a pry tool the clamp came smoothly and cleanly off. Thinking that “if it worked on one side why not try it on the negative pole. Slipping the nose of my Gerber under the clamp I started to apply pressure “CRACK” I just stood there in amazement the handle of my heavy duty Gerber had just broken in two. At this point it is really high time to get some help. I went over to Lydia’s bed liner shop to ask to borrow some socket wrenches. Everything was easy after that. I got a new battery and installed it in a relatively short painless period of time.